We recently discovered that the website, BestSellingCarsBlog.com, now covers Historical Data for 104 markets across the world. The best selling cars throughout the decades really help to visualise what life was like and what kind of people were driving – and what they were driving where!
- The VW Beetle was the Number 1 car in Germany from 1946 to 1973 – that’s a huge 28 years!
- Greece and the USA are the only countries with pre-WWII car sales info
- In 1894 there were only 200 cars on French roads and one of them was the Peugeot Type 5
- The Hindustan Ambassador is thought to have been the Number 1 car in India from 1950 – 1984
- The Skoda 120 was Number 1 in Czechoslovakia in the 1980s
- The VW Kombi was Number 2 in Brazil from 1966 – 1968
Aussie Highlights is one of the most complete and covers the last 70 years with data dating back to 1946.
- In 1948 “Australia’s own car” is born and marketed only as ‘Holden’ – this popularity saw waiting lists into 1950.
- Ford launched the Falcon in November 1960 as an alternative to Holden.
- Japanese manufacturers used Australia as a trial export market
- The 1958 Datsun was the first Japanese car to land in Australia after WWII
- From 1969 to 1976 Chrysler stayed in third place behind Holden and Ford
There’s so much more discover – you could be there for decades going through the decades!